The Net-Brainer

The Net-Brainer (http://forums.netbraintech.com/index.php)
-   NetBrain Product (http://forums.netbraintech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   NetBrain Feature Request & Discussion (http://forums.netbraintech.com/showthread.php?t=871)

admin 10-08-2010 10:04 PM

NetBrain Feature Request & Discussion

This thread is dedicated to any future request or suggestions for features in NetBrain products. We appreciate all feedback.

robvanhooren 10-09-2010 08:53 AM

Nexus & Virtual Switches

- Layer 2 mapping
- Routing, ARP, CDP, MAC tables

http://forums.netbraintech.com/showthread.php?t=869

[NetBrain]Layer 2 mapping has been supported in v4.1 version.

robvanhooren 10-09-2010 08:55 AM

AutoLink in L2 Maps

Autolink is a very useful feature in Layer 3 maps. It would also be very useful in Layer 2 maps. Is there any way to do autolink in layer 2 maps?

http://forums.netbraintech.com/showthread.php?t=859

[NetBrain]This feature has been supported in v4.1 version.

robvanhooren 10-09-2010 08:57 AM

CheckPoint Import

Checkpoint (Nokia/IPSO) config file import if it is not already on the roadmap (the device active file should be all you need, however for more robust capability you could include the objects.C file and rules.W). This would allow 0-touch scenarios to include Checkpoint devices.

http://forums.netbraintech.com/showthread.php?t=866

[NetBrain]The Checkpoint Firewall has been supported in v5.0 version.

robvanhooren 10-09-2010 09:02 AM

Support of HSRP/VRRP

support of HSRP/VRRP

http://forums.netbraintech.com/showthread.php?t=407

[NetBrain]HSRP, VRRP and GLBP has been supported in v4.1 version.

thegameiam 10-21-2010 11:11 AM

Re: NetBrain Feature Request & Discussion

IS-IS, CLNS, NSAP addressing, unnumbered interfaces.

[NetBrain]IS-IS, unnumbered interfaces has been supported in v4.1 version.

lgao 10-21-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegameiam (Post 1330)
IS-IS, CLNS, NSAP addressing, unnumbered interfaces.

Unnumbered interface is supported now in OE3.1.

thegameiam 10-26-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgao (Post 1333)
Unnumbered interface is supported now in OE3.1.

Great! Thank you. Is IS-IS on the roadmap?

[NetBrain]IS-IS has been supported in v4.1 version.

Abraham L 10-26-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegameiam (Post 1338)
Great! Thank you. Is IS-IS on the roadmap?

Thanks, IS-IS is not on the roadmap for the near future.

recoyle 10-29-2010 12:21 PM

Here are a couple of very popular cisco devices that should be discovered by Netbrain and a suggestion to provide another "class of discovered devices" similar to the "SNMP discovered devices" it would be useful to have a "CDP discovered devices" that includes all devices found by CDP even if they are unreachable via SNMP or Telnet.

1. Cisco Wireless LAN Controller (WLC):
Current SNMP discovery just returns "Failed:SNMP++ Get Error, SNMP Variable does not exist(2)"

2. Cisco Light weight access point (
LWAP):
This device does not support SNMP or Telnet but it does appear in CDP and is configured in the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller.

3. Any CDP discovered device with no snmp or telnet data.
There is a more general case of any device that is discovered via CDP but is not reachable via SNMP or Telnet. You may not be able to get a complete interface list but you can get the IP address for layer 3 maps and the CDP connected ports (local and remote) for layer 2 maps. And you get at least the name and model for asset inventory information.

[NetBrain]WLC, LWAP are supported in current version.

lgao 11-05-2010 05:42 PM

Thanks, Rick...

thegameiam 11-16-2010 05:41 PM

How about automated DMVPN mapping and association?

[NetBrain]DMVPN is supported in current version.

lgao 11-16-2010 08:07 PM

DMVPN decoding and mapping will be supported in V3.2. ETA: 1Q 2011. Thx.

thegameiam 11-17-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgao (Post 1356)
DMVPN decoding and mapping will be supported in V3.2. ETA: 1Q 2011. Thx.

Great! Thank you.

thegameiam 12-02-2010 12:14 PM

Is MSDP support coming soon? How about collection of multicast routing tables?

[NetBrain]Multicast mapping is supported in current version. Also there are build-in Procedures can help you with multicast related tasks.

recoyle 12-03-2010 12:56 PM

I need an audit trail for all changes made by Netbrain users. Could you add a server log of all telnet/ssh commands issued by any OE client. The log should include the Netbrain id of the user, the name of the device, date/time and the command/s issued.

[NetBrain]Local Telnet/SSH session logging is support by OE workstation.However the workspace server wonít gather these information.

Abraham L 12-03-2010 01:32 PM

MSDP support and multicast routing tables are not included in the coming release. We will put them in our midterm road map.
Thanks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegameiam (Post 1361)
Is MSDP support coming soon? How about collection of multicast routing tables?

Abraham L 12-03-2010 01:33 PM

Rick,
I will send this request to our product team.
Thanks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by recoyle (Post 1362)
I need an audit trail for all changes made by Netbrain users. Could you add a server log of all telnet/ssh commands issued by any OE client. The log should include the Netbrain id of the user, the name of the device, date/time and the command/s issued.

recoyle 12-14-2010 10:38 AM

The discovery report would be a lot more useful if the NEW DEVICES tab included a little more data.

In order to simplify eliminating uninstalled devices it would be very useful to have a new column for LAST DISCOVERED DATE, so that it is clear when a device has been unreachable for an extened period. The other option would be to fix the MISSED DEVICES list so that when a device is rediscovered it is removed from the MISSED DEVICES list. Today I have to manually recheck hundreds of devices that end up in the missed list every week, it would be much easier if could see which devices have really been unreachable for over a week, and which ones just missed one discovery. It would also be useful to have current status in the table with options like FULLDISCOVERY, SNMPONLY, CDPONLY, REMOVEDFROMWORKSPACE...

To help identify devices that have been renamed and/or cases where the management IP has been redeployed to a new device, it would be very useful to have a couple of new columns in the NEW DEVICE tab that had the LAST DISCOVERED HOSTNAME and a column with just TRUE/FALSE for NAME CHANGED. Today I have to manually run Tune live access to find these issues, export all the data and compare the device name to the SNMP discovered name. This is a very time consuming process, it would be much simplier to have a NAME CHANGED (TRUE/FALSE), that could be sorted in the discovery report so that I could select all devices with a new name an remove the old device from the workspace.

[NetBrain]Thank you, your request have been submitted to our product management team.

Elton 12-15-2010 02:13 PM

Thanks Rick for your suggestions. It'll help us to improve our product to auto update the live network data in workspace. It'll be in our future release in Y2011.

recoyle 01-04-2011 09:59 AM

I would like to request 2 improvements to ALL options to export data to CSV.
1. Excel 2007 and later can support up to a million rows, so it would be very useful to be able to stop the splitting of files when the data is exported from inventory reports, OneIPTables and anywhere else Netbrain creates .csv files.
2. Sometimes the data exported to .csv files contains imbedded commas (for example interface descriptions), for these text fields it would be very useful to have the option to replace commas with space, or make the fields quoted, so that the data ends up in the right columns when read by excel.

[NetBrain]Thank you for your input, your request have been submitted to our product management team.

Abraham L 01-04-2011 10:29 AM

Rick,

Thanks for the request. We will consider this in our next release.

recoyle 01-06-2011 10:17 AM

Could you add a couple of Mailto: links in the web interface and/or on the OE client: One link to send email to all registered users and a second link to send to all active users?

You have all the email address for registered users from the add a user info. This would provide quick and relatively simple option to aid in collaboration/informaiton sharing among users of specific Netbrain OE gateways.

[NetBrain]Thank you for your input, your request have been submitted to our product management team.

thegameiam 01-06-2011 11:36 AM

I'd like to be able to pre-define the management IP of devices, or create some logic such that "loopback 0, if it exists, is always the management ip of a router or switch."

[NetBrain]Thank you for your input, the requirement for management IP selection has been supported in V4.1a.(Case#00001700)

thegameiam 01-14-2011 10:22 AM

I would like to see more advanced configuration file syntax checkers - for instance, instead of ignoring "int eth0," I would like to have this flagged as "not imported." Additionally, if there are errors of subnetting or other syntax, I would like those to get kicked out or identified: an example is:

ip prefix-list TEST seq 5 permit 10.10.10.4/29

The above is not a valid statement, and an actual Cisco router will rewrite that to "ip prefix-list TEST seq 5 permit 10.10.10.0/29."

Similar issues apply to masks in OSPF area ranges, BGP networks, etc.

thegameiam 01-17-2011 04:15 PM

I'd like to be able to make maps where instead of just highlighting the routing protocols, I'd like to include the cost of the link. Is there an easy way to do this with OSPF?

[NetBrain]We introduced Procedures feature in version 5.0, it can help you with these kinds of tasks.

Erick 03-09-2011 02:43 PM

Old email based feature request being put here for tracking.

Regex patterns in searches for names:

^r == find all routers
^s == find all routers
^(r|s)XX == find all routers and switches at site code XX
n$ == find all Nortel switches

[NetBrain]Thank you for your input, your request have been submitted to our product management team.(Case#00001359)

Erick 03-09-2011 02:47 PM

Ability to exclude device types ... example: wireless. I see no reason to count those in License count if they are all managed by WLC.

[NetBrain]Current version has the ability to exclude specific type of devices from license node.

Erick 03-09-2011 02:51 PM

9) I am looking for a way to take several qmap files I have generated and have them updated automatically and exported to GIF or PDF files. Any way to do this?
- current version canít auto update/export. I filed a new request on exporting to PDF file.

Automation is very big around here, having a "cron" type job to update maps is a topic that I keep getting asked about.

[NetBrain]Currently we don't support PDF export, your request have been submitted to our product management team.(Case#00001088)

Erick 03-09-2011 02:51 PM

Old email based feature request, putting here for tracking

10) Along the same lines, some way to generate daily email with all of the config diffs for the last 24 hours.
- very good suggestion, and I already filed the new feature request.

[NetBrain]Thank you for your input, your request have been submitted to our product management team.(Case#00001177)

Erick 03-09-2011 02:54 PM

Old email based feature request being put here for tracking

6) Search user accounts on the web admin. Search for user "Jon Doe" or "show me all the users in role Admin" Ė (item #6~9 as new features were forwarded to our dev team)

[NetBrain]Thank you for your input, the search for user accounts in license server is supported in current version.

Erick 03-09-2011 02:55 PM

Old email based feature request being put here for tracking

8) Web shortcuts for open/close tabs (CTRL-W == close current page, CTRL-T == open new page)

Erick 03-10-2011 10:09 AM

Two more of my older requests I remembered ...

- Sort the Device Groups alphabetical instead of by creation date.
- In the "Select Device" window change the default from "Cisco Router" to "All Devices"

[NetBrain]In Current version, Device Groups are alphabetical sorted and by default, Select Device windows will show All Device types.

thegameiam 03-22-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abraham L (Post 1339)
Thanks, IS-IS is not on the roadmap for the near future.

Can IS-IS for IP be added to the mid-term roadmap?

Erick 03-25-2011 05:06 PM

Just an idea... When running the initial installer how about ask the end user some basic network questions:
Largest subnet
SNMP communities
Login user/password
etc
I say this because we just went through an upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 via unstall / reinstall. The default max discover mask y'all use is /24 when I had changed this down to a /18 for my 3.0 install. I just noticed today some things appeared out of wack and found the discover was back to /24 again. I had forgotten about this but if I would have been proimpted during install I would have not left it at the default.

[NetBrain]Thank you for your input, in current version, after installation, user will be asked to enter Login credential and SNMP communities information for network discovery.

Erick 03-31-2011 04:54 PM

Update how NetBrain picks the modeled interface.

I change models to the loopback, when I see them set to a different IP, as typically that interface is the one in DNS. Today while working an issue I was not able to telnet from NetBrain directly to a device with Cisco in a WebEx. Initially Netbrain picked a VLAN that was shutdown in working the problem. I quickly updated the model and just picked another interface, without thinking about it. Turns out I picked an HSRP IP address because when I later flopped the HSRP to a different router I lost connection again and on reconnecting I went to the wrong router. Little bit embarassing on a webex with 3-4 Cisco employees helping work a problem.

Prefer Loopbacks? Show ip route <netbrain server> and screen scrape the int home?

[NetBrain]Thank you for your input, in current version, the management IP will be reselected when tuning the shared network settings.

04-03-2011 10:31 PM

what is the user name and password for netbrain operator edition.

Abraham L 04-04-2011 09:13 AM

The default username/password is admin/admin.
Thanks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramkumar (Post 1618)
what is the user name and password for netbrain operator edition.

thegameiam 05-27-2011 10:27 AM

How about having a monitor which works in the workspace pane - i.e. something that would let you know "I need to make a map with these devices which are currently yellow or red"? Alternatively, something which would display only those devices which are alarming at a given time (there are ~800 routers in my network now, and displaying all of them is pretty tough).

eddy 06-14-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegameiam (Post 1354)
How about automated DMVPN mapping and association?

Hi, DMVPN will be supported in OEV4.0 to be released in July. Here is a diagram showing DMVPN connection.
http://www.netbraintech.com/share/3_2/DMVPN.png

[NetBrain]This feature has been supported in v4.0 version.