Netbrain
Home NetBrain Product One-Skill-at-a-Time Search Mark Forums Read
Go BackThe Net-BrainerNetBrain Product Connection timeout values

Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 PM

Default Connection timeout values

I have a router that is older and quite far away. As such the default timeout for SSH connections appears to not be long enough. I can login to the server locally and use PuTTY to login to the router, and it takes a while to work out the keys, but when I choose the Telnet/SSH menu option to the same router it fails saying remote device closed the connection.

Where can I increase the SSH timers? Seems like it should be with the CLI and SNMP timers but I do not see it there.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Connection timeout values

From OE client workstation top left corner "NetBrain" logo > Options > Live access tab > Live access Timeout section, you can increase the CLI timeout (default = 30 seconds).
Old 09-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Elton,

That looks like the cli timeout. What about the initial session connection timeouts? Older routers like 2500s and 2600s running SSH v2 with 2048 bit keys take a while to connect to. The router may not even give a banner response for up to 15-20 seconds. Then place that router over the pond and response can be as long as 20-22 seconds. Netbrain pops up the error message "> Connection failed: [10061] Connection refused" within 3 seconds. Knowing the router I am looking at takes over 15 seconds to simply give a login banner and prompt I know NetBrain is not giving the SSH session initial build enough time.

What is really weird is that if I do the Check Device it does work:
Ping [a.b.c.d] via Network Server(l.m.n.o)
Succeed
Send RO = [public] to [a.b.c.d] via Network Server(l.m.n.o)
Succeed
Retrieve [a.b.c.d]'s Hostname , Vendor and Model use RO = [public] via Network Server(l.m.n.o)
Succeed
SSH to [a.b.c.d] via Netowrk Server(l.m.n.o)
SSH to [a.b.c.d] successfully
Return from Device:[router>]
Sending "enable" command
Return from Device:[Password:]
Sending Enable Password:*********
Return from Device:[router#]
Sending "enable" command
Return from Device:[router#]
Sending "exit" command
SSH to [a.b.c.d] Disconnected

Maybe it is a timeout within the telnet/ssh client NetBrain uses for the "Telnet/SSH (Ctrl-T)" menu? Or does Netbrain send a non-tcp 22/23 poll before attempting the connection? All of these devices are behind a firewall.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 AM

Hi Erick,

Do you have a proxy service? If yes, can you confirm that you can reach the destination device from your local host after it's disabled (using the software)? If not, we will need to work on this issue and try to improve it in the next version of the software.

Regards,
Angela
Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 AM

I loaded PuTTY onto the NetBrain server as a test point a while back and from the server directly, using PuTTY, I can connect to the devices via SSH and Telnet. The remote router does take the 15-25 seconds to respond but it works.

We are not using a proxy service anywhere that Netbrain has modeled as of yet.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Hi, Erick,

I agree that this may be an issue of Telnet/SSH client. I will ask our team to look into this and see what we need do to fix this.

Thanks,
Abraham