Netbrain
Home NetBrain Product One-Skill-at-a-Time Search Mark Forums Read
Go BackThe Net-BrainerNetBrain Product Scan IP addresses skips /30 subnets

Old 11-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Default Scan IP addresses skips /30 subnets

Why does the scan destination subnets, in the discovery process, skip /30 subnets?

The scan goes from /32 to /29 networks. It makes sense to skip /31 as there are no host addresses in a /31, but /30 network are frequently used for point to point connection between routers. These /30 subnets are probably the fastest way to discover new routers that do not have a /32 loopback address.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Scan IP addresses skips /30 subnets

In the initial design of discovery engine, point-to-point network was thought to be best discovered by neighbor-walking. So the /30 subnet was skipped to avoid scan the routers that's already discovered.

Are you using scan /30 feature to pick up a newly added router? In that case, we need re-think the above mechanism. Thx.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:41 AM

I think it would be best if the user had the choice of which ranges of destination subnets to scan. For example: scan any mask => 30. To scan for any /32 or /30 subnets to discover most routers on the network.

I generally use the scan destination subnets on just one seed router to catch routers that have been added to the network with new /32 loopback addresses. Today I have to manually stop the scan because there is no setting that allows me to specify what network masks to exclude.

If a router does not have a /32 subnet, then the next most useful ranges to scan for routers are /30 for point to point links.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 AM

I am forwarding your suggestion to our dev team and will consider add this option in the future relase.

Again your comments really help us improve our product and are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,