Netbrain
Home NetBrain Product One-Skill-at-a-Time Search Mark Forums Read
Go BackThe Net-BrainerOne-Skill-at-a-Time Connected devices don't know they're connected.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Default Connected devices don't know they're connected.

I have an F5 load balancer connected to a Cisco 6509 switch. The load balancer has been discovered by Netbrain, as has the switch. Yet at Layer 2 Netbrain doesn't understand they're connected. How do I bridge the gap on my layer 2 diagram to show that the end device x.x.x.x is actually my Load balancer?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Connected devices don't know they're connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceaton01 View Post
I have an F5 load balancer connected to a Cisco 6509 switch. The load balancer has been discovered by Netbrain, as has the switch. Yet at Layer 2 Netbrain doesn't understand they're connected. How do I bridge the gap on my layer 2 diagram to show that the end device x.x.x.x is actually my Load balancer?
Ceaton01,

NB should be able to present the L2 connection in the L2 map if it can retrieve the F5 arp table. You can rebuild the L2 topology after you discovered the F5 LB to have a try (Gateway server>Home page>Rebuild L2 Network Topology or do a server benchmark). Also you can rediscover it with Live Network Discovery Option Rebuild L3/L2 topology after discovery automatically checked (it will consume some time), Workspace>Discvoer>Options, check the option Rebuild L3/L2 topology after discovery automatically.

Hope it helps

Gerry
Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Ceaton01,

NB should be able to present the L2 connection in the L2 map if it can retrieve the F5 arp table. You can rebuild the L2 topology after you discovered the F5 LB to have a try (Gateway server>Home page>Rebuild L2 Network Topology or do a server benchmark). Also you can rediscover it with Live Network Discovery Option Rebuild L3/L2 topology after discovery automatically checked (it will consume some time), Workspace>Discvoer>Options, check the option Rebuild L3/L2 topology after discovery automatically.

Hope it helps

Gerry
I'm having a hard time setting up the F5 to allow Netbrain to get this information. Is there a way to manually add a device to the layer 2 topology?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm having a hard time setting up the F5 to allow Netbrain to get this information. Is there a way to manually add a device to the layer 2 topology?

Yes, you can stitch the L2 connection via modifying the one-ip table, from L2 Topology tab>One-IP Table, in the One-IP table window, right click> add, enter the corresponding info, you can press F1 to refer the detail description of each option in the NetBrain Help. See screenshot below:

Hope it helps

Gerry
Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 PM

That's handy. Any idea why I can't seem to pull the Arp table from the F5 BigIP via SNMP? Netbrain claims to "receive" the arp table, but it is never populated in Netbrain.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
That's handy. Any idea why I can't seem to pull the Arp table from the F5 BigIP via SNMP? Netbrain claims to "receive" the arp table, but it is never populated in Netbrain.
Can you try to retrive the F5 data, show me the retrieve log? Drag and drop the F5 to a qmap, right click the blank area on the map, right click, select Retrive live data, highlight the F5 in the Retrieve Live Data window, then you will see the Retrieve log at the bottom of the window.

Thanks
Gerry
Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM

Begin retrieving task
Prepare to retrieve device information.
Prepare to retrieve interface information.
Begin to retrieve routing table via SNMP.
Retrieve routing table via SNMP successfully.
Begin to retrieve ARP table via SNMP.
Retrieve ARP table via SNMP successfully.
Data retrieval completed.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Begin retrieving task
Prepare to retrieve device information.
Prepare to retrieve interface information.
Begin to retrieve routing table via SNMP.
Retrieve routing table via SNMP successfully.
Begin to retrieve ARP table via SNMP.
Retrieve ARP table via SNMP successfully.
Data retrieval completed.
It is weird, the log says the arp table is retrieved successfully! Did you choose the relevant data folder to check the arp table?

We use standard snmp mib 2 to retrieve F5 snmp arp table, nothing special. Unless this F5 model does not support it well. You can also snmpwalk the F5 device with the OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.4.22.1.2 to verify if you can get the arp table.
Navigate to @\Workstation Operator Edition\bin\SNMPWalkTool.exe, run the tool with administrator right, enter the F5 ip address/snmp credentials/MIB variable, the start the tool, the result file will be saved under bin directory. See screenshot below:

If the result file is empty and you confirm there are arp entries at that moment. Then it may be caused by this F5 model.

Thanks
Gerry

Last edited by Gerry; 01-22-2013 at 09:35 PM.