Netbrain
Home NetBrain Product One-Skill-at-a-Time Search Mark Forums Read
Go BackThe Net-BrainerNetBrain Product NetBrain in AWS - Automation

Old 02-12-2018, 06:53 AM

Default NetBrain in AWS - Automation

Hello All,

I wanted to start a thread about the deployment of NetBrain in AWS and the automation associated with it. I am hoping that others may have similar deployments, or be interested in such deployment, and that we might share any experiences or insights in the process.

We use Terraform to deploy in AWS while leveraging Shell/Powershell scripting for our User Data. We have tested and had some success with Jenkins Pipelines, but due to the limitations of automating NetBrain, it is not a high priority effort right now. I would say our deployment is about 75% automated.

Gaps to full automation:
-License Re-Activation
-Index Cluster Re-Initalization
-Worker Server requires Redis Cache IP's instead of hostnames (even though it can be configured with hostnames)

One major "issue" we had to overcome was the ability to leverage hostnames instead of IP's. Our organization requires that we use new AMI's every 60-90 days. This means, we must destroy and rebuild our infrastructure every few months. In favor of automating this, we could not leverage static IP's in our configuration. We ran into the most issues with the Messaging Servers, as we simply could not find a way to configure the cluster using hostnames.

I am curious if anyone else has attempted a similar deployment and can share any insight into:

What automation tools have you used and have you been able to completely automate your deployment?

What challenges have you come across?

-- Jon