Netbrain
Home NetBrain Product One-Skill-at-a-Time Search Mark Forums Read
Go BackThe Net-BrainerOne-Skill-at-a-Time Extreme Switches

Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Default Extreme Switches

Is there a way to add a vendor MIB to the tool to better provide discovery results?

Specifically I'm looking at the discovery of Extreme Network Switches. We are a mixed environment, and it would be most beneficial to have the hueristics for the tool discover non-cisco neighbors, and correctly map them in the workspace.

One of the key values of the tool is time savings... If I have to add these each manually the time savings value add drops off dramatically...

I would imagine that there is a way of pulling information out of the spanning tree output of various devices to provide discovery, and as a result mapping...

Does this exist? (if so point me to the docs I couldn't find how to make it work)

If not is this on the roadmap?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Extreme Switches

NetBrain allows you to add the vendor MIBs manually, so that NetBrain could discover a mixed network better.

To add the MIBs:
1. Expand the Vendor Model Settings node at the bottom of the Network Panel. Then double-click the Vendor & Model item to pop up the VendorModel window.
2. Right-click the ID column and select Add Record, the new record was added to the bottom of this table.
3. Edit the record refer to other records. (Please note that the OID represents the sysObjectID)

To get a better discovery result, a rule you should know is that only the vendors in this table can be discovered by NetBrain, so youíd better add the vendor types as whole as possible. After adding the MIBs, you can re-discover your network again. Additionally, for Juniper, NetScreen, Extreme switches, NetBrain could retrieve their real configuration files if we could telnet them successfully.

<O
With regard to pull information out of the spanning tree output, we are sorry to tell you that we do not support parsing the spanning tree outputs for any types of devices. However, you can map all discovered devices in a L3 diagram.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:47 AM

Well, I have the MIB txt file from Extreme, but the syntax doesn't spell out the ASN.1 notation for each of the values...

Looks like I'll have to MIB walk a live switch and add from there...

Not intuitive at all...

Any chance your dev team is working on a method to compile and import MIBs to make life easier?

Again, its about MTTR...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:48 AM

Hi, what does your MIB txt file include? Only add the sysOjbectID into the list is enough. Once it is added, NetBrain could know what device it is, if the deviceís sysobjectID is in this list, NetBrain will discover it correctly.

Please let me know have you got the sysObjectID, and then Iíll introduce you a trick to quickly import them to NetBrain. If possible, could you show me part of your MIB file, or give me a snapshot of that.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:50 PM

Ok, I think the following is the section;

RFC1213-MIB sysDescr.0 ExtremeXOS version 12.1.2.17 v1212b17 by release-manager on Fri Sep 5 21:02:17 PDT 2008
RFC1213-MIB sysObjectID.0 extremeProduct.93
RFC1213-MIB sysUpTime.0 234 days, 11 hours, 45 minutes, 27 seconds
RFC1213-MIB sysContact.0 support@extremenetworks.com, +1 888 257 3000
RFC1213-MIB sysName.0 SC-X450-RowADistribution1
RFC1213-MIB sysLocation.0
RFC1213-MIB sysServices.0 79

The value for the sysObjectId is a reference that a found in the Text MIB document;

summitVer2Stack OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { extremeProduct 93 }
-- A stacked version of the EXOS Summit X450's, X250's

So not the most descriptive, but at least Identifiable, I'll try to load this in and see if it can discover the other stacks in the network.

I also tried adding via the configuration, but the parser failed to capture the IP address of the management port.

Extreme switches have a physical port on the back of the box that is completely separate from the "normal" operation space of the switching internals, its a true out of band management port. In our network, these are the ports we use to access and manage these devices as they typically are performing aggregation duties.

I deleted the device from the workspace and attempted to add manually... but it keeps finding it as unclassified...

I'll add the Mib reference and see if it helps... I'll post the results.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:56 PM

I finally found the right combination for the launch point where the tool begins to read the tree and the value that matches the retrieved element;

That in the OID section properly identifies the device as an extreme switch, that is a summit stack, once you fill out the rest of the details in the table.

Seems simple once you burn an hour trying to decipher the mib and then tinker around with Live discovery...

Also its noteworthy that there are probably a fair number of folks using these in a stacked mode, and as a result will receive a somewhat ambiguous "summitstack" model type...

I'll start a new thread for other forms of Extreme entertainment...
Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 AM

Yes, thatís it. Please refer to the figure and add the value into NetBrain.

Also you can provide me more information, then I will complete them and send the related file to you, what you need to do is to replace the file into NetBrain.

Last edited by David.C; 09-18-2009 at 07:58 AM.