Netbrain
Home NetBrain Product One-Skill-at-a-Time Search Mark Forums Read
Go BackThe Net-BrainerNetBrain Product What is used to form a connection?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:33 PM

Default What is used to form a connection?

I am trying to solve an issue where things do not map quite right within netbrain. I have a subnet with twoswitches all dual connected to a pair of cores. Of the two switches one connects to the core per Netbrain on a layer3 map. But both connect on a layer 2 map.

- The CDP table for both cores shows both access switches
- The CDP table for both access switches show the cores

One of the access switches are IOS based and the other is CatOS based. The CatOS based switch does not form the L3 connection. Looking at neighbors in Netbrain there are no devices under the VLAN in question. Neighbors only show when I choose extend neighbors->select->all neighbors from a L2 map. If I select any single VLAN no neighbors show.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:18 AM

Default Re: What is used to form a connection?

Thank you for the feedback, Erick. Our team of engineers will work on this problem and improve it on the next release of the software.

Best Regards,
Angela
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 AM

Hi Erick,

Can you please verify that the access switch with L3 connectivity to core switch has a management IP address configured? If this is not the situation, can you please elaborate more on the issue?

Regards,
Angela
Old 09-27-2010, 11:32 AM

There is L3 connectivity between the switch and the core:

switch> (enable) sh ip route no
Fragmentation Redirect Unreachable
------------- -------- -----------
enabled enabled enabled
The primary gateway: 192.168.1.1
Destination Gateway RouteMask Flags Use Interface
--------------- --------------- ---------- ----- -------- ---------
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0x0 G 0 sc0
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2 0x0 UG 84554846 sc0
192.168.1.0 192.168.1.5 0xfffffe00 U 13207625 sc0
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0xff000000 UH 0 sl0
switch> (enable) ping 192.168.1.1
!!!!!
----192.168.1.1 PING Statistics----
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip (ms) min/avg/max = 1/1/1
hlemk01k> (enable) ping 192.168.1.2
!!!!!
----192.168.1.2 PING Statistics----
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip (ms) min/avg/max = 1/1/1
switch> (enable) sh int
sl0: flags=51<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING>
slip 0.0.0.0 dest 0.0.0.0
sc0: flags=63<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING>
vlan 491 inet 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.254.0 broadcast 157.170.165.255
sc1: flags=62<DOWN,BROADCAST,RUNNING>
vlan 2 inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 broadcast 0.0.0.0
WARNING: Vlan 2 does not exist!!
switch> (enable)

Another switch, which is IOS based, does connect via the L3 map. This switch, CatOS based, does not.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 AM

Hi Erick,

Can you please verify that the subnet mask of the core switches are the same as the CatOS switch? Different subnet mask may be the cause.
Another possibility is that you didn't see the neighbors when using 'Auto Link'. You need to 'Auto Link' the CatOS switch (creating a virtual point), then 'Auto Link' the virtual point to create the rest of the topology.
Please let me know if this doesn't work out.

Regarding the missing neighbor from the VLAN output, this software was designed to place neighbors from different VLANs as neighbors of VLAN 1. This point will be noted on future editions of NetBrain software.

Thanks for the feedback,
Best Regards,
Angela
Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 AM

I just verified that the VLAN in question is defined as a /23 on the core routers, the functional IOS based switch and the CatOS switch which does not link into the map diagram. Looking closer it is interesting that that CatOS switch does show connected to two other switches (both are IOS based) which are misconfigured with /24 masks instead of the /23. This makes the number of switches involved in this subnet seven. Four are connected to the "a.b.c.d/23" subnet while the other three are connected to the "a.b.c.d/24" subnet. I shall update the two misconfigued /24 IOS switches but this CatOS switch is already a /23 per the config. After I make the change on the subnet mask will Netbrain automatically update these two switches at the next benchmark?

EDIT: I fixed the IOS switches, now everything in the subnet is a /23, and the two fixed switches have a connection to both the /23 and /24 network maps. The CatOS switch which started all this also has a connection to the /23 and /24 networks now. After I deleted the /24 and redid the auto-link the /24 network did not come back. It looks like the issue was not the CatOS switch, it was setup as a /23 but connected to a /24 ... somehow due to the two mis-configured /24 IOS switches.

I assume by "auto link" you mean select the switch in question, right-click and choose the auto link option? When I do that all that happens is everything in the "a.b.c.d/24" subnet gets highlighted.

EDIT: nevermind

Last edited by Erick; 10-04-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I just verified that the VLAN in question is defined as a /23 on the core routers, the functional IOS based switch and the CatOS switch which does not link into the map diagram. Looking closer it is interesting that that CatOS switch does show connected to two other switches (both are IOS based) which are misconfigured with /24 masks instead of the /23. This makes the number of switches involved in this subnet seven. Four are connected to the "a.b.c.d/23" subnet while the other three are connected to the "a.b.c.d/24" subnet. I shall update the two misconfigued /24 IOS switches but this CatOS switch is already a /23 per the config. After I make the change on the subnet mask will Netbrain automatically update these two switches at the next benchmark?

EDIT: I fixed the IOS switches, now everything in the subnet is a /23, and the two fixed switches have a connection to both the /23 and /24 network maps. The CatOS switch which started all this also has a connection to the /23 and /24 networks now. After I deleted the /24 and redid the auto-link the /24 network did not come back. It looks like the issue was not the CatOS switch, it was setup as a /23 but connected to a /24 ... somehow due to the two mis-configured /24 IOS switches.

I assume by "auto link" you mean select the switch in question, right-click and choose the auto link option? When I do that all that happens is everything in the "a.b.c.d/24" subnet gets highlighted.

EDIT: nevermind

Hi Erick,

I'm a little confused, can you clarify the situation a little more? At first, there are 4 switches, IOS access, CatOS access, and two IOS core switches. Then, you said there are 7 switches with 4 connected to the /23 subnet, while the other 3 connected to /24 subnet. What switches are they?
Also, can you elaborate on the /23 and /24 subnet, please? Which switches are contained in the /24? I thought the goal was one subnet containing all 7 switches.

Regards,
Angela