Netbrain
Home NetBrain Product One-Skill-at-a-Time Search Mark Forums Read
Go BackThe Net-BrainerNetBrain Product Port channels on servers

Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Default Port channels on servers

So should I be able to show the physical layer 2 connections for servers that are connected via port channel? I am narrowing down a trend that seems the servers which do have port channels I do not see any switch connections on a layer 2 map.

Last edited by Erick; 04-07-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Port channels on servers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
So should I be able to show the physical layer 2 connections for servers that are connected via port channel? I am narrowing down a trent that seems the servers which do have port channels I do not see any switch connections on a layer 2 map.
Hi Erick,

NetBrain supports port channel between server and switch. See the picture below. If you have complete L2 data, the port channel information can be shown on the map. You can check the configuration files of the switch to see whether the port channel information was discovered. If it failed to get. You can do a server benchmark with auto build L2 topology selected to see whether it works.

Hope it helps,

Thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 03:13 PM

I wonder if this comes back to another post I made. The switch in question seems to be missing data. Looking at another server in the same map it is a straight connection on gi4/36.
  • device settings -> check == 100% good for switch in question
  • tune live access on the map == 100% good for all devices in map
  • server benchmark runs nightly with rebuilt L3 and L2 checked
    • I have been trying to connect these 5 servers for a week now so benchmark is not helping
  • right-click on switch -> device data -> view MAC table == data exists but missing some
  • running retrieve live data for MAC table on switch == data exists but missing some
  • ssh to switch and show mac-addr gi 4/36 == correct data
Gi 4/36 is not in the table but NetBrain knows the IP and I was able to add the system in question as an end station placing it on a L3 map. Last time I had this come up I removed the model (PIX for the ARP table) and re-added it and that solved the problem. Before I try that is there anything you guys need? I am not sure if the remove/discover will work again but symptoms are the same as before.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:48 AM

It looks that the missing entries in your MAC table resulted in the problem. Maybe there exist some entries in MAC table that cannot be parsed by NetBrain. You can remove and rediscover this device to have a try. Before the operations, can you please send us the following two files. They will help us to figure out the missing data.

1, Export the MAC table of the switch directly after retrieving. The entries listed here are those NetBrain parses successfully.

2 Right-click on an entry and select "View Original Text..." this is an original text NetBrain gets from your switch directly. Click "Save As..." to save this file as .txt format.

We will use these two files to find out differences, also please point out the MAC address of your server which connected to the switch using port channel. They will help us a lot.

Thanks.

Last edited by eddy; 04-08-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 AM

I sent the info along via email. I now question if this is a NetBrain issue or not. When I was looking closer the MAC was known by the switch on a sh mac- int gi 4/36 but on a show mac- or sh mac- dy it was not known. A show mac- mod 4 gave a lot more data then just a sh mac-.

I cleared the mac table for the entire switch and now sh mac- includes data on int gi4/36 as well. I have opened a TAC case with Cisco to ask why a switch would know the mac dynamically and show it per int but not on a global show mac-.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I sent the info along via email. I now question if this is a NetBrain issue or not. When I was looking closer the MAC was known by the switch on a sh mac- int gi 4/36 but on a show mac- or sh mac- dy it was not known. A show mac- mod 4 gave a lot more data then just a sh mac-.

I cleared the mac table for the entire switch and now sh mac- includes data on int gi4/36 as well. I have opened a TAC case with Cisco to ask why a switch would know the mac dynamically and show it per int but not on a global show mac-.
We checked on your data and everything seemed to be fine. NetBrain works well in parsing your original MAC table. It uses show mac-add command to build MAC table, so the entries failed to be retrieved through this command will surely not be listed in NetBrain. As you've mentioned, it's probably a small issue of Cisco switch.

Thanks for pointing this out. We'll keep this case on file for further reference.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 PM

So I found out the root of the problem for this one. Cisco 6500s with a sup720 sup and DFC line cards running older code. The command mac sync is not enabled hence the DFC does not pass it's entries to the sup720 causing the table to look incomplete. If you pulled the table via SNMP (possible CPU hit so I am happy with cli) you would get everything. Or once we enabled the mac sync then all is happy again.