Netbrain
Home NetBrain Product One-Skill-at-a-Time Search Mark Forums Read
Go BackThe Net-BrainerNetBrain Product Discovery without SNMP access?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:44 PM

Default Discovery without SNMP access?

Hi,

I'm running the eval of netBrain Consultant and wanted to know if I could perform a typical L3/L2 discovery of a datacenter switch block with out using SNMP? (ie: just using CLI).

I tried it and it seemed to pickup on the switch (l3) however the down stream L2 switches / topology doesn't appear to be in the map.

Also the mac to IP to DNS doesn't appear to be picking up.

Can I perform a L3/L2 discovery build a map with vlans, and port trunks etc... using only the CLI.

btw - we're using cisco nexsus gear as well if that helps
Old 06-17-2013, 03:10 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Discovery without SNMP access?

Hi Smelias,

Sorry for the late response.
When discovering devices, Netbrain uses snmp to indentify the device types, if it is not available, NB will assume the target devices as Cisco IOS switch or Cisco Catalyst switch to discover.
In your situation, you can utilize the Network Definition table to predefine the device type and driver of the target device.
1. Under Workspace Menu, go to Vendor Model drop down menu>Network Definition, Click Add button to define Device Type and Driver. See screenshot below:

2. Discover the Nexus devices with the option ‘Rebuild L3 and L2 topology after discovery automatically’ checked. Then you should be able to see the L3/L2 topology.

3. To see the DNS names in L2 map and Mac address table, please refer to the instruction below:

• Resolve DNS from One-IP Table

1) Open the One-IP Table from L2 Topology tab on the Ribbon Menu
2) Expand the LAN segment(s) for which you want to resolve the DNS names
3) Select the IPs (using Shift or Ctrl key) à right-click à Select Resolve DNS (Picture below), after resolving the names, you can drag and drop the entries from this table to a L2 map to see the DNS names on map.

NOTE: There is an option called “Resolve All DNS” on top of this table. That could take several minutes depending on the total number of entries in the table.

• Load IP and DNS from One-IP Table

1) Switch to device MAC Table, right click device>Device Data>MAC Table.
2)In the MAC table, right click the entries (using Shift or Ctrl key) which you want to resolve DNS, choose Load IP and DNS from One-IP Table option. See snapshot below:

Thx,
Gerry