Netbrain
Home NetBrain Product One-Skill-at-a-Time Search Mark Forums Read
Go BackThe Net-BrainerNetBrain Product NetBrain Feature Request & Discussion

Old 04-21-2016, 01:54 AM

Default Re: NetBrain Feature Request & Discussion

While I'm at it another feature request.

Improved MAC address lookup.

I've been having to troubleshoot lately on devices that aren't being mapped by Netbrain (think craptacular web-managed switches and other devices that just aren't identified) and this has required me to utilize the MAC address table to identify manufacturers.

I realize that keep a full OUI table on the Netbrain server just doesn't make sense and that trying to stay updated just on network equipment is a never ending task. Heck, I've found Cisco devices where I've had to manually enter the OUI.

There are several websites out there that maintain OUI tables and they keep them up to date. My thought is that Netbrain could check it's local table first then do a web based lookup. If it finds a match for an OUI it then adds that to the local database.

This would provide the best of all worlds.
1. Netbrain isn't behind the 8 ball trying to keep up with new OUIs since there would be a fallback to a web-based lookup. I've found old ones for Cisco, HP, Fortinet that weren't in Netbrain's OUI table.
2. My Netbrain server doesn't have to keep a full OUI table but instead just have the table provided by Netbrain and whatever it added from a web lookup.
3. I don't have to make 60-100 manually entries every time I have to research something via MAC address. This is what I have to do now.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcervantez View Post
Any support for Nexus FEX architecture? How about Catalyst 3750/3850 stacks, Catalyst 6800 stacks, etc?

I'm referring to the ability to create L2 maps and reports that indicate the ports that a FEX is connected to and/or to show the individual stack members in a catalyst switch group.
Hi rcervantez,

Thank you for posting your inquiries.

Currently we support to display FEX as a module in the device property, but on the map NetBrain cannot display FEX and Nexus switch separately, the port of FEX will be drawn on the switch.

For the stacks, we display it as a single switch on L2 map, you can view the stacks detail information in Asset Report.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1436 View Post
If there is no way to do this is would be nice if after doing a search the results could be exported to a spreadsheet or some sort of report.
Hi ap1436,

Thank you for your post.

I have submitted the case to our product management team regarding this request. We will definitely consider this in the future release as many customers are requesting the same feature.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1436 View Post
Are there any plans to add additional supported CLI commands when you run CLI from a map. I would love to be able to do a DIR and move around in the directory structure.

Thanks
Hi ap1436,

I have submitted the request regarding your suggestion, currently we only support the commands which won't make changes on the device configuration, but as you recommended, the CLI commands indeed need to be updated.

Thank you very much!
Old 05-03-2016, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafnetmatt View Post
I love what's been done at Layer 3 and with Qapps but it feels like Layer 2 mapping has been neglected. I'd love to see improvements on this.

1. Trunk & physical member mapping: I see this on Procurve especially. Netbrain maps the physical ports & then a separate link for the trunk. The physical ports will show correct vlan info but the trunk always just shows 'vlans all' in the notes. I'd like to see either:
a. A link for the trunk that shows correct vlans & shows port membership.
or b. Links for the physical ports with a label showing them as being a member of a trunk.

2. HA mapping. This has been mentioned by others. Almost everyone installs HA pairs for their firewalls. When I do a map, I have to export it to a Visio & manually create them & then manually add these Visios to my documentation. If I create the 2nd firewall manually (or create the ports manually) things go all wonky where Netbrain starts marking the passive unit as active. Many times Netbrain doesn't want to pull info from the passive firewall. I've seen this with Palo Alto and Fortinet.

3. Transparent bridged mode / vWire: I realize this is more a Layer 1 thing but it would be nice if Netbrain would map these. I haven't figured out how to force Netbrain to put them in so I have to export to Visio and manually do it. I have a client that is about to install 45 firewalls all in vWire and the mapping is already making my head hurt.

4. Mapping from the MAC table. This has also been requested. I see this issue most with security devices like firewalls that either don't support LLDP or only allow it one way (it broadcasts LLDP requests but doesn't answer them).

Regards,

Matt
Hi Matt,

Thanks for contacting us.

1. Would you please send us email: support@netbraintech.com with samples regarding this request so we can review to see if we can implement this via Qapp, it sounds like not very complicated.

2. For the HA mapping, would you please open a ticket if you are requesting Palo Alto and Fortinet firewall, our vendor team will respond with their data collection spreadsheet, they will start working on it once they receive sample data.

3. For transparent mode firewall, I have submitted feature request as your requested, just want to let you know it is currently being developed already.

4. This is a major project we are implementing regarding L2 topology calculation, we did receive a lot request to be able calculate accurate L2 topology when LLDP/CDP are not turned on.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:24 AM

I would request being able to identify a seed router's make/model in the discovery as right now it automatically assumes its a cisco IOS device. This makes it difficult to discover other devices without a lot of hassle.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacomon View Post
I would request being able to identify a seed router's make/model in the discovery as right now it automatically assumes its a cisco IOS device. This makes it difficult to discover other devices without a lot of hassle.
When discovering devices, NetBrain uses SNMP to identify the device types, if it is not available, NetBrain will assume the target devices are Cisco IOS switch or Cisco Catalyst switch.
You can utilize the Network Definition table to predefine the device type and driver for the target device.

1. Under Workspace Menu, go to Vendor Model drop down menu>Network Definition, Click Add button to define Device Type and Driver(eg. Cisco IOS XR) for non-SNMP devices. See sample below

2. Then try to rediscover the device to see if it can be added into workspace.

To make network definition take effect, first you need to remove the devices from NetBrain workspace, then please rediscover these devices, so they will be recognized as the new device type.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacomon View Post
If the SNMP is enabled within this seed router. You can also use below solution to define the device type.
NB uses the vendor model table to identify the device type/vendor/model. We can customize them by changing the corresponding entries.

1. Right click the device which you want to change, and choose Properties to open the Properties window.

2. Copy the sysObjectID in the Properties window.

3. Go to the Vendor Model table to change the corresponding entry. Navigate to the Ribbon menu, switch to the Workspace page, and click the Vendor Model button to open the Vendor Model table.

4. Click Add button to open the Vendor Model Definition window, fill the Device type/vendor/model to match the requirements. See sample below:

Maybe the SysObjectID has exist in the list. Please search for it and fill the Device type/vendor/model to match the requirements.

Note:
The driver/icon will be changed automatically when you change the device type. Please input the OIDs to Monitor CPU and Memory fields if you know that, or just leave them empty.
If you have several devices with the same model (same sysObject ID), you only need to add one entry in vendor model table.
5. Remove the devices from your workspace and then rediscover them to deploy the change.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:58 AM

We would like to see the red "+" to vary in color based on the following criteria,

L3 & L2 Maps -

1. Red = Neighbors Exist (Router, Switch, WAP, Unclassified Network Device, & End Systems, etc.)

2. Purple = Neighbors Exist (Only Phones, APs, & End-Systems)

3. Black = Neighbors Exist (Only End-Systems)

The biggest ask is to have some quick way of knowing a particular network device does or does not have neighboring network and end devices.

Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2016, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Hi aos5,

Thank you for your suggest.

I have escalated this request to our product team, you will be able to track this ticket via ticket number 52079.

Please let us know any questions you have.

Thank you,
NetBrain Support Team