Netbrain
Home NetBrain Product One-Skill-at-a-Time Search Mark Forums Read
Go BackThe Net-BrainerNetBrain Product Disconnected device issues

Old 06-02-2010, 05:18 PM

Default Disconnected device issues

When devices are removed from the network, the ip addresses are frequently reused. When you have 1000's of devices it is not so simple to manually find and delete disconnected devices from Netbrain, and in fact it is frequently very handy to have access to the old device config.

But there are may problems both finding disconnected devices and with leaving them in Netbrain.

1. Is there any way to get a display or report of devices and the last successful discovery/benchmark for the device?

2. Can you mark a devce "invalid" so the is it nolonger used in the layer 2 or 3 topology but is not deleted from the workspace? I.E. can you keep the config but not use in topology calculations and have the device show in gray in the qmap "tag invalid" option. It would also be useful if "invalid" devices showed up highlighted in the workspace view (either grayed out or red)

3. Can we have a option to set a time limit that would allow Netbrain to automatically tag devices as "invalid" if they have not been benchmarked or discoverd for x number of days? EG if netbrain has not be able to reach a device for 60 days, automatically tag as "invalid" per #2 above.

4. New devices that reuse subnets/addresses of a removed device show up as "duplicated address" and will not show up in extend neighbors until the old devices are removed from the workspace. Could we have a option to use the newest config in L2 and L3 topology calculations versus using the current logic that seems to use the oldest config? It would seem to make a lot more sense to use the config that is current on the network versus using a config for a device that is no longer reachable when rebuilding the L2 / L3 topology

Last edited by recoyle; 06-02-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Disconnected device issues

For Q1, you can check the "Discovery Report" in Workspace menu, which will list all new & missed (deleted) devices. To remove the "missed devices", select multiple devices in the table, right click mouse menu > Saved selected devices as a device group. Then from Workspace pane, device group, select all devices, right click menu > remove from workspace.
We're appreciated you suggestions on #2~4, will consider to add them to our future releases after review.
Thanks.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Thank you,
The discovery report is helpful.

Please consider adding the "Last discovered date" to the "Missed Devices" tab. This would be very helpful in determining what devices have really been removed from the network, versus devices that may have just been unreachable in the last discovery.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:23 PM

Question on the discovery report. It seems to me that the scheduled discovery does not show in the GUI based "report" and I say this because I have my system setup to discovery every day at 3am. Looking at the report there has not been a single missed device since May 27th, before the holiday weekend. I find that very hard to believe since I know for a fact that I am still fixing firewall rules. Where does one go to look at the nightly discovery "missed devices" ?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Question on the discovery report. It seems to me that the scheduled discovery does not show in the GUI based "report" and I say this because I have my system setup to discovery every day at 3am. Looking at the report there has not been a single missed device since May 27th, before the holiday weekend. I find that very hard to believe since I know for a fact that I am still fixing firewall rules. Where does one go to look at the nightly discovery "missed devices" ?
Hi, Erick

The scheduled discovery will ONLY be automatically launched when the OE Workstation UI is opened already.

Please make sure whether the scheduled discovery is started correctly.

Last edited by David.C; 06-04-2010 at 04:44 AM.