Netbrain
Home NetBrain Product One-Skill-at-a-Time Search Mark Forums Read
Go BackThe Net-BrainerNetBrain Product NetBrain Feature Request & Discussion

Old 07-19-2011, 11:50 AM
jron3

Default Re: NetBrain Feature Request & Discussion

These things are extremely powerful in troubleshooting as well as asset discovery Ė Needs to have
1) If the devices is found in CDP itís a device. If Netbrain cannot access via telnet/ssh or snmp that is a different issue. All discovered devices should be captured in the dB and reported on. If there are credential issues or configuration issue then those can be addressed after discovery
2) Do a DNS reverse lookup on the discovered management address (loop0, vlan999, whatever is administratively define) and record result in db
3) Record and report on the discovery path to device from the seed/root, if netbrain found it then we need to understand how it found it and how it fits in to the overall picture
4) Record and report on the snmp and/or telnet credentials used to access the device
5) Record and report the last time seen on the network for each device

This is real nice to have stuff
1) An API to import/extract db information and to allow netbrain to interact with other management systems
2) For Cisco devices it would be preferred if Netbrain used the CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB.oid to lookup the discovered OIDís, this will bring a lot of consistency to assets inventory processes.
3) A device module report for blade type systems (cat6k, 4500 etc) would be helpful
4) Would be nice if export to visio/jpeg whatever is not determined by the current screen zoom level. Maybe a radio box pick list of the detail level you desire?
5) Determine the location of the discovered based on the router that owns the subnet, or maybe associate a subnet to a site and them put the device on that subnet.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:39 PM

Default Add option to remove devices.

Add option to remove devices.

Automated may be bad so maybe have a popup window to view all devices that have not responded to NB sorted by number of days of no response. Then have check boxes by each device that allows us to check, at our choice, devices to "remove from workspace."

I have asked for a method to see how long a device has not responded in the past and with the issue I am having now, something wacky with license device count, I am back to asking again. I need to purge out old devices but NB does not have a good/easy way to do this.

[NetBrain]This feature was supported in V4.0.(Case#00001390)
Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM

Add exclusion flag for dup IP table

I have a lot of devices in the duplicate IP manager that need to stay. Example are devices at a DR site which have production IP space configured and simply left in admin down state or an on-line backup router at a small site that is admin up but down state so the site can move a cable in the event of a router failure. Both of these cases have duplicate IPs within NetBrain and show up in the dup Ip table. Maybe find a way to flag one as a backup / ignored interface for that table?

[NetBrain]Thank you for your input, your request have been submitted to our product management team.(Case#00001456)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 AM

When monitoring my network, the pps is very important to me. I'd like the monitoring to include the pps in the live reported values (perhaps optionally?). Thanks,

[NetBrain]We introduced monitor Procedures in version 5.1, it can help you with these tasks.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Add option to remove devices.

Automated may be bad so maybe have a popup window to view all devices that have not responded to NB sorted by number of days of no response. Then have check boxes by each device that allows us to check, at our choice, devices to "remove from workspace."

I have asked for a method to see how long a device has not responded in the past and with the issue I am having now, something wacky with license device count, I am back to asking again. I need to purge out old devices but NB does not have a good/easy way to do this.
Two ideas on this one:
  1. have an auto-age out feature. Either simply history over X days old or get more complex and keep daily up to 30 days, once a week up to 120 days, monthly up to 24 months.
  2. Enable multiple select on the web delete files page. Please! I just spent 45minutes clicking that little X, waiting for a refresh, click the little X, wait ...
[NetBrain]Your new request have been submitted to our product management team as well.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Is there a way to have a seed file built into NB for discoveries much like the do not scan tab? All of our router loopbacks are in a common subnet and if I could simply scan that as step one at every discovery that would possibly find new things not currently in NB in a more complete manner.

IE. every discovery scan the networks:
192.168.100/23
192.168.102/23
192.168.104/24

[NetBrain]Thank you for your input, your request have been submitted to our product management team.(Case#00001840)
Old 02-23-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Is there a way to have a seed file built into NB for discoveries much like the do not scan tab? All of our router loopbacks are in a common subnet and if I could simply scan that as step one at every discovery that would possibly find new things not currently in NB in a more complete manner.

IE. every discovery scan the networks:
192.168.100/23
192.168.102/23
192.168.104/24
I think this is a good suggestion, I am filing a request to our DEV team to evaluate it.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Awesome new Eddy. If you do not mind keep me in the loop mas to if/when something like that gets added. I am trying to use NetBrain for helping us work our Cisco true-ups and really think this would help make sure nothing would be missed.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:13 PM
heinekev

Support to be launched from within a Virtual Machine

[NetBrain]The NetBrain product line support virtualization environments.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinekev View Post
Support to be launched from within a Virtual Machine
Hi heinekev,

Thanks for your post, our product Enterprise Suite supports to be lanched from within VM Ware or Virtual Box.